17 December 2010

But Hitler was a vegetarian!

Ya know, if Julian Assange is a rapist, that doesn't mean that Wikileaks is suspect or somehow less important. I can admire the man for giving whistleblowers an outlet and despise him for being a rapist (*if* he is. Innocent until proven guilty). It's like being able to like Roman Polanski's movies, and still thinking he's a blistering asshole.

Here's the thing I've been saying to anyone who'll listen: They wouldn't have charged him if not for wikileaks, but that doesn't mean he didn't do it. If he's guilty and they prove it, even for the wrong reasons, then the outcome is still the right one.

Also, see Kate Harding. She's awesome.

3 comments:

stuartbramhall said...

Wow, very concise and to the point. Did you ever ask yourself why male bloggers can't say the same thing in less than 2,000 words? I will definitely recommend your post at Progressive bloggers and link you on my blog role.

What bothers me the most about this controversy is the way it squeezes out all other national and international. Just like the O.J. Simpson circus. I recall it very distinctly because I was a single payer activist. The week of his arrest (1993) was the same week health care reform (after being headline news for a year) died a quiet death in Congress.

So what is the corporate media trying to conceal by beating Assange's sex life to death? Most of the information in the recent cables release is already widely available on the Internet. At the same time I find it surprising to find absolutely nothing about the "strategic" reasons the US is at war in Pakistan and Afghanistan. Nothing about the Pentagon agenda to foster the secession of oil and mineral rich Balochistan from Pakistan as a US client state - just like Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and other former Soviet republics. Nothing about CIA support for the Baloch separatist movement. Nothing about the CIA training young Baloch separatists in bomb making and other terrorist activities to disrupt operations at the Chinese-built Gwadar Port (intended to transport Iranian oil and natural gas via Pakistan to China).

I blog about this at http://stuartbramhall.aegauthorblogs.com/2010/11/28/afghanistan-and-the-road-runner/

Luna said...

No, but I've asked myself why people identical flattering post comments on more than one site. Answer? To pimp their own blog.

Luna said...

Okay, I'm sorry. That was rude of me. But I find it REALLY irritating. Sorry.