18 August 2009

Rape: A crime of opportunity

So let me get this straight: I can go to a bar, be drugged, beaten and raped by the bar owner, and he gets NO JAIL TIME in Canada. Furthermore, the judge will say it was a crime of opportunity and that the rapist is "not pathologically dangerous".

Let me make something clear: We need to be able to trust the bartenders. We have enough trouble watching our drinks from random assholes and our dates. This was a serious breech of trust. This is a VERY dangerous man.

I'm so pissed off about this one, I can't type coherently.

6 comments:

deBeauxOs said...

A "crime of opportunity" - is that new-speak for "lady, if you hadn't been in that bar you wouldn't have gotten yourself raped?

fern hill said...

Ye goddesses! If you can't trust the damned bartender. . .

And the bloody CBC is too weaselly to allow comments on the story.

Luna said...

I am being ridiculously optimistic in hoping that the CBC is not allowing comments because they know that there will be people saying she was asking for it. I'm pretending to myself that they're protecting the victim.

Luna said...

deBeauxOs: Yeah. Exactly. I was just too incoherent to form the right words this morning. Of course, that serves me right for trying to blog before coffee.

Anonymous said...

It is a breach of trust and if the bartender uses the opportunity of a woman or man who has had too much to drink to say they asked for it he should be charged criminally.

Luna said...

Marilyn, while I agree with you, that isn't what happened in this case. In this case, the woman had drugs slipped into her drink for the express purpose of raping her.