28 January 2009

Biathlon fundraiser and other Olympic nonsense

The Canadian women's Olympic biathlon team is raising money (because they are underfunded). And how might they be doing this? With a nudie calendar.

They say that they hope it will "empower women and girls through inspiring quotes and expressing the beauty of an athletic body."

But I gotta say, it sounds a lot more like selling sex to fund their goals. Now, I'm not saying they shouldn't do this. Hell, if that's how they wanna do it, fine. Whatever. But couching it in terms of empowerment, when it's just objectification of the woman's body is seriously offensive. I mean, they're doing it to make money, not art.

Which leads me to the fact that the men's sports are funded a lot more heavily than the women's. Gee, sexist much? Fund them the same. Or don't fund them at all.

I'd be none too upset if no adult sports were funded. I couldn't give the first flying fuck about the Olympics (which, I not-so-lovingly refer to as the Olimpdicks). I think they're a gigantic waste of money and resources, and a slap in the face to the poor and sick. I mean, there aren't enough hospital beds in BC, but shell out BILLIONS on sports? Give me a break. And *so* don't tell me it'll stimulate the economy. Sure, it'll stimulate the rich into getting richer, but it does jackfuckingsquat for the rest of us.

And can someone tell me why anyone gives a shit about who can throw a javelin the farthest or swim the fastest? "It's the pinnacle of athletic achievement" says my MIL. And? So what? My tax dollars are funding this because why? It's not like there aren't a gazillion problems to fix first. Why in hell are we spending money on frivolous shit when there are people dying in waiting rooms, not able to find doctors, living on the streets, selling their bodies for drug money, stealing shit for drug money, too sick to get out of the house... I could go on...

So, now the Biathlon team is selling their bodies to go to this farce. Just fucking lovely. Aren't we just the evolved people?

Marx said that religion is the opiate of the masses. He might have been right for his time. But now, now it's sports. Hell, you can even watch it all day Sunday.